If you want to add a text or a logo over a video that is playing in VLC media Player, then you can simply do it with the Video Effects Overlay feature in the application. It allows you to easily type in something and display it over the video that is currently playing. If you have a logo or graphic then you can also place it on the media that is playing. You can also select the position of the displayed logo or text. Think of it as branding for your media without hard-coding anything in the video file itself. You can use this feature when broadcasting to an audience.
Here is how you overlay text on videos:
- Go to Tools > Effects and Filters. [Shortcut: CTRL + E or Command + E]
- Switch over to the Video Effects
- Under it, choose the Overlay
- Check the Add text
- Type the Text. It can be anything you want.
- Choose the position like center, top, bottom-right etc.
- Hit Close when you are done.
The method to add a logo is similar. It is available under the same options. But you need a graphic image file (*.png, *.jpg) beforehand.
Here are the steps to add logo over videos:
- Open up Effects and Filters option from the Tools. [Shortcut: CTRL + E or Command + E]
- Navigate to Video Effects > Overlay
- Turn on the Add logo checkbox.
- Click the three dots button … to browse for your graphic logo file in jpg or png.
- Under it, you can choose the position by specifying the Top and Left
- Drag the transparency slider towards to left to make sure the graphic doesn’t block the video.
- Hit on Close when you are done.