With VLC Media Player, you always want the latest version of the software in your computer. There are additional features, security updates and improvements in the app when it is the most up to date version. The VideoLAN group always pushes regular updates and you will get an automated notification when you open the application. If it doesn’t show any update notification, go to Help > Check for Updates from the menu bar and a manual check will be performed. It will look for new versions of VLC Media Player online.
To update VLC Media Player to the latest version in your laptop or desktop:
- Click on Help > Check for Updates. If there is an update, it’ll display a message like,
A new version of VLC (3.0.3) is available.
VideoLAN and the VLC development team present VLC 3.0 “Vetinari”.
VLC 3.0 is a major update to VLC, introducing hardware decoding by default, allowing 4K with low-cpu usage (and 8K on recent machines), supporting HDR and 360 video. It also improves audio passthrough, allows to stream to ChromeCast, Blurays and local network drive browsing.
Do you want to download it?
- Click on Yes and it will begin downloading the update file immediately.
Once downloaded, it will say
The new version was successfully downloaded. Do you want to close VLC and install it now?
- Hit the Install button.
- It will ask for admin privileges. Click on Yes to proceed.
Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?
- The installation wizard will start. Click Yes.
- You will have two options. Hit Next.
- Upgrade VLC using previous settings (recommended)
- Change settings (advanced)
Most users will choose the recommended option.
- The installer will now extract the files and install the software
It will display a confirmation at the end. Click Finish.
If you had checked the ☑ Run VLC media player option, the new and updated version will now run. Otherwise, you can access it from the start menu or any other shortcuts to launch the app in your system.
To confirm that everything went smooth and the update happened, Click on Help > About.